Warm spices and sweet pumpkin give this creamy baked custard an unusual twist. The silky smooth texture is contrasted with the crunch of roasted pepitas and ginger snap biscuits. Brûlée on top would add an extra toffee crunch.
- 500 gm peeled diced pumpkin
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 500 ml pouring cream (2 cups)
- 50 gm brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 10 egg yolks
- 250 gm crème fraîche, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 50 gm caster sugar
- Crumbled ginger snap biscuits, roasted pepitas and icing sugar (optional), to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Spread pumpkin in a small roasting pan, add 100ml water, cover tightly with foil and roast until very tender (50 minutes to 1 hour). Drain in a sieve, then purée in a food processor with the fresh ginger until very smooth.
- 2Reduce oven to 160C. Bring pumpkin purée and half the cream to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk brown sugar, spices and half the yolks in a bowl to combine, then, whisking continuously, gradually add pumpkin mixture. Transfer custard to a jug.
- 3Bring crème fraîche, vanilla and remaining cream to a simmer in a saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk caster sugar and remaining yolks in a bowl to combine, then, whisking continuously, gradually add crème fraîche mixture and whisk to combine well. Transfer custard to a separate jug.
- 4Place four 350ml shallow bowls in a large roasting pan lined with a clean tea towel. Pour pumpkin custard and vanilla custard into bowls simultaneously so they swirl together. Fill roasting pan with enough hot water to reach halfway up sides of bowls, cover pan with foil and carefully transfer to oven. Bake custards until set with a slight wobble in the centre (20-25 minutes). Remove bowls from water bath and leave for 10 minutes, then scatter with crumbled ginger snap biscuits and roasted pepitas, dust lightly with icing sugar and serve warm with extra crème fraîche.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chef's RecipesIcebergs' ricotta with white poached quince and honeyYesterday 10:14pm