- 2 butternut pumpkin (about 1.5kg each), cut into 5cm chunks
- ½ tsp each smoked paprika, ground cumin and ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground chilli
- 110 ml olive oil
- 2 garlic heads, halved horizontally
- 1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar
- 1 each Granny Smith apple and pink lady apple
- 4 radicchio leaves, coarsely torn
- ½ cup coarsely torn flat-leaf parsley
- 20 gm roasted pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Combine pumpkin, spices, lemon rind and 50ml oil in a large bowl, season to taste and toss to coat pumpkin evenly. Spread on 2 large oven trays, add garlic and roast, swapping position of trays halfway though cooking, until pumpkin is tender and slightly darkened on the edges and garlic is golden (45-50 minutes), then, when cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic from skins (discard skins) and set aside.
- 2Heat 30ml oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the onion and reserved garlic, and stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes), add stock and pumpkin mixture, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium, simmer for 20 minutes, then purée with a hand-held blender until smooth. Remove from heat, stir in half the lemon juice and 30ml (1½ tbsp) vinegar, adjust seasoning to taste and keep warm.
- 3Thinly slice apple on a mandolin and toss in a bowl with remaining lemon juice. Add radicchio, parsley, seeds, remaining vinegar and remaining oil, season to taste and toss to combine.
- 4Divide soup among warmed bowls, top with a little apple salad and serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: Rich bottle-aged riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen