Does the world need another pumpkin soup recipe? If it's as full of spice and flavour as this one, our answer is yes. Make it a meal with crisp onion fritters.
- 30 gm ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1.2 kg Jap or butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable or chicken stock (4 cups)
- 130 gm chickpea flour (also called besan) (1 cup)
- 80 gm thick plain yoghurt
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 12 fresh curry leaves, plus 1 extra sprig to serve
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped coriander
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- ½ tsp each brown mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- ½ tsp each ground turmeric, ground chilli powder and garam masala
- 1Heat ghee in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic and chilli and sauté
until onion is translucent (4-5 minutes). Stir in ginger and spices until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute). Add pumpkin and stock, bring to a simmer and cook until pumpkin is very tender (20-25 minutes). Blend with a hand-held blender (or in batches in a food processor) until smooth. Season to taste.
- 2For onion bhajis, stir flour, yoghurt and 100ml water in a bowl to a smooth batter, then stir in
remaining ingredients and season to taste. Heat 3cm oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add spoonfuls of onion mixture and fry, turning occasionally, until golden (2-3 minutes). Drain on paper towels and season to taste. Add extra curry leaves to the oil and fry until crisp, then drain on paper towels.
- 3Ladle soup into bowls, top with a little yoghurt, curry leaves, extra green chilli and coriander and serve with onion bhajis and lime wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Waxy bottle-aged Hunter sémillon Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am