A spicy soup for cold nights, with crunch from crisp tortillas.
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground chilli
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 400 gm canned tomato polpa
- 400 gm canned baby Roma tomatoes, or canned Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 3 oregano sprigs, torn
- 2 chicken breasts (skin on), halved widthways
- Lime wedges, sour cream and coarsely chopped coriander, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Toss tortillas in 1 tbsp oil and season to taste. Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden (4-6 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and stir occasionally until soft and starting to caramelise (8-10 minutes). Add garlic and stir for 1 minute, then add spices and stir until fragrant (1 minute).
- 3Add stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add oregano and chicken, reduce heat to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through (12-15 minutes). Transfer chicken to a plate, then when cool enough to handle, coarsely shred chicken with two forks. Divide among bowls.
- 4Season soup generously with salt and a squeeze of lime, then ladle soup over chicken. Top with tortilla strips and a spoonful of sour cream and scatter with coriander to serve.