- 8 small squid (about 40gm each)
- 70 ml olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 400 gm canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 chorizo, thickly sliced diagonally
- 2 cups (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely torn
- 25 ml sherry vinegar
- 1Remove and discard head and insides of squid, including cartilage, then rinse well under cold running water.
- 2Use a sharp knife to open out body lengthways. Scrape out and discard membrane, then score flesh lightly in a cross-hatch pattern and cut into strips.
- 3Combine squid, 50 ml olive oil, onion, garlic, paprika and lemon juice in a bowl and marinate for 20 minutes.
- 4Place chickpeas in a heatproof serving bowl. Heat remaining olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add chorizo and cook, tuning once, until crisp (2-3 minutes). Add to chickpeas and return pan to heat.
- 5Drain squid from marinade, add to pan and cook quickly until squid just turns opaque (1-2 minutes), then add to chorizo mixture.
- 6Add marinade to pan, cook briefly until onion is tender (1-2 minutes), season to taste, then pour over squid and chorizo mixture.
- 7Add parsley and sherry vinegar, toss to combine and serve immediately.