Freeze the beef fillet for an hour before you prepare it so it's easier to cut and refrigerate the diced meat as you go so it remains nice and chilled.
- 400 gm beef fillet, trimmed
- ½ sourdough baguette, thinly sliced
- 3 tsp lemon juice, or to taste
Spicy smoked salsa
- 7 long red chillies
- 1½ tbsp capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp each finely chopped flat-leaf parsley and mint
- 1Freeze beef fillet for at least an hour to chill well.
- 2For spicy smoked salsa, char chillies over a gas flame on a stovetop or medium-hot barbecue and turn occasionally until blackened and tender (8-12 minutes). Place in a bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside to steam (10 minutes). Peel chillies, discard seeds, finely chop and combine in a bowl with remaining ingredients, season well with salt and refrigerate until required.
- 3Preheat oven to 175C. Toast baguette slices in oven until golden (10 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 4Finely dice beef and combine with salsa in a bowl and mix well. Add extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice to taste and mix to combine, then transfer to a chilled plate, top with a dollop of yoghurt, scatter with herbs, season well, and serve with croûtes to the side.
Drink Suggestion: A full-bodied rosé Drink suggestion by Max Allen