- 1.6 kg pork baby back ribs
- To serve: toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 16 seeded umeboshi (see note)
- 275 gm (1¼ cup) brown sugar
- 150 ml brown rice vinegar
- 150 ml mirin
- 60 ml (¼ cup) kecap manis
- 10 gm ginger, finely grated on a microplane
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ¼ cinnamon quill
- 200 ml tomato sauce
- 1For umeboshi sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and stir occasionally until tender (10-15 minutes). Add remaining ingredients, except tomato sauce, and 400 ml of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer until apple falls apart (25-30 minutes). Remove from heat, discard cinnamon and add tomato sauce. Process in a blender until smooth.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 150C. Place pork in a roasting pan, pour sauce over and bake covered, turning occasionally, until pork is tender (3 hours).
- 3Drain excess sauce from ribs and roast, brushing occasionally with marinade, until well glazed and sticky (20-30 minutes). Serve hot scattered with sesame seeds.
Note Umeboshi are preserved Japanese plums, available from Japanese and Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: American-style India pale ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen