We love the crunch of snow peas combined with the soft texture of the black fungus. This stir-fry is great served with fish.
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 20 gm ginger, cut into julienne
- ½ bunch garlic stems, cut into batons
- 150 gm snow peas, trimmed
- 1 tsp bean sauce
- 60 ml chicken stock (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 100 gm black fungus, torn into bite-sized pieces
- Handful of snow pea leaves
- To serve: sesame oil and steamed jasmine rice (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large wok over high heat, add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until just golden, but not browned (5 seconds). Add garlic stems and stir-fry until starting to turn golden (1-2 minutes), then add snow peas and bean sauce, stir to combine, then add stock and toss vegetables occasionally until almost tender but still crunchy (1-2 minutes). Stir in Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and ¼ tsp coarsely ground white pepper, then add fungus and snow pea leaves, and toss to just combine. Drizzle with sesame oil to taste and serve with steamed rice.
Note Bean sauce is made from fermented soy bean and is available from Asian supermarkets. We prefer the Fu Chi brand.
Drink Suggestion: Bottle-aged sémillon Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am