- 1 kg squid, cleaned and tentacles reserved (about 4)
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 green capsicum, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 125 ml chicken stock (½ cup)
- 1 tsp potato flour (see note)
- 2 green onions, cut into 3cm pieces
Black bean sauce
- 1 tbsp black beans, rinsed
- 1 piece dried tangerine skin (see note)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 1For black bean sauce, combine beans and tangerine skin in a small bowl. Place in a bamboo steamer over a saucepan of boiling water and steam for 10 minutes or until soft. Combine with remaining ingredients in a mortar and, using a pestle, coarsely crush.
- 2Using a sharp knife, score inside of squid into a diamond pattern and cut into 4cm pieces. Cook squid and tentacles in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds, drain and pat dry with absorbent paper.
- 3Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat, add black bean sauce and sauté for 30 seconds, add squid, capsicum and chilli and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add sugar, soy and stock and bring to the simmer. In a bowl, combine potato flour and ¼ cup water, add to wok and stir until thickened. Add green onion and a few drops of sesame oil, season to taste with sea salt, stir to combine and serve.
Note Potato flour is available from health food stores and Asian supermarkets. Dried tangerine skin is from Asian supermarkets.