- 100 gm lardo, cut into 5mm pieces (see note)
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 250 gm small green lentils
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1½ litre chicken or vegetable stock (6 cups)
- ½ qty <a href='http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/fresh_pasta.htm'>fresh pasta</a>
- 1Heat a large saucepan over medium heat, add lardo and sauté for 5 minutes
or until golden. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add carrot and celery and cook for another 2 minutes. Add lentils, bay leaves and stock and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender and stock is reduced. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 2Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Cut fresh pasta into rough pieces, then add to boiling water and cook for 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, add stracci to lentils and stir to combine. Serve scattered with parmesan.
Note Lardo is the Italian name for pork back fat. It's available from butchers but may need to be ordered ahead.