Stromboli is an Italian-American pizza that's rolled into a log and filled with cured meats and plenty of cheese. Add extra herbs or pickled chillies for a little kick.
- 300 gm mixed thinly sliced cured meat, such as mortadella, glazed or double smoked ham, copocollo and salami, or sopressa
- 200 gm coarsely grated provolone or firm mozarella with low moisture
- 60 gm (¾ cup) finely grated parmesan
- 1 cup (loosely packed) basil
- Egg wash, for brushing
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 375 gm (2½ cups) "00" flour or plain flour
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400 gm canned tomato polpa
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1For dough, combine yeast and 250ml lukewarm water in a small bowl. Combine flour and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture and oil to make a soft dough. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (5 minutes). Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place until dough has doubled in size (1 hour).
- 2For Neapolitan sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir occasionally until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Add tomato and simmer over low heat until mixture is reduced to a paste (30 minutes). Set aside to cool.
- 3Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly oil two oven trays. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until just smooth. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 20cm x 30cm rectangle on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper.
- 4Spread tomato paste on dough rectangles, leaving a 1cm border. Top each with cured meats and mozzarella; sprinkle ¼ cup of the parmesan on each, then top with basil. Turn the paper so a long side of the dough is in front of you. Fold in edges on the short sides, then carefully roll up dough from the long side to enclose filling. Moisten edges with water to seal. Place seam-side down on trays.
- 5Flatten rolls slightly and brush lightly all over with egg. Using a sharp knife, cut shallow slashes across the rolls. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan, then stand, uncovered, in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- 6Lightly brush stromboli with egg wash, then bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200°C, then bake until golden brown and cooked (10 minutes). Stand for 5 minutes before serving.