You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead. Makes 16.
- 500 gm hulled strawberries (about 2 punnets)
- 280 ml sparkling wine
- 530 gm white sugar, plus extra for coating
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 9 gelatine leaves (titanium strength), softened in cold water
- 1Combine strawberries and 80ml wine in a saucepan, cover and simmer over medium heat until strawberries are tender and juice is extracted (5-7 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve (you should have about 200ml). Add half the remaining wine and enough water to make 450ml and combine in a saucepan with sugar and lemon juice. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil and cook until mixture reaches 120C on a sugar thermometer (15-20 minutes). Remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes.
- 2Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to strawberry syrup with remaining wine. Stir to combine, then pour into a lightly oiled 16cm-square cake pan. Stand in a cool place overnight.
- 3Scatter sugar over cutting board. Dip base of pan quickly in hot water, invert pan onto board to remove jelly. Cut jelly into cubes with a hot knife and toss in sugar to coat. Sugared jellies will keep in an airtight container for 1 week.