Sunflower seeds make a delicious creamy dip for crudités.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 150 gm sunflower seeds, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes, drained, plus extra seeds, to serve
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 240 gm plain yoghurt, strained in a muslin-lined sieve for 1 hour
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup mixed mint and dill, finely chopped
- Crudités, such as witlof leaves, sliced cucumber and sliced radish, to serve
- 1Dry-roast cumin seeds in a small frying pan until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute), then crush with a mortar and pestle to a fine powder. Process cumin with soaked sunflowers seeds and garlic in a blender to a coarse paste, then add remaining ingredients except herbs and process, gradually adding a little water (about 100ml) until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, season to taste and refrigerate to chill (2 hours).
- 2Stir herbs into dip, top with extra oil and sunflower seeds and serve with crudités.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsThe best places to visit in Queenstown, New ZealandYesterday 2:30am