This dish makes a great gluten-free breakfast alternative to Bircher muesli if you serve it topped with chunks of fresh mango. Or opt for sticky glazed mango cheeks instead, as we have, and enjoy it for dessert.
- 160 gm quinoa (1/3 cup)
- 4 fresh dates, pitted and finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 625 ml canned organic coconut milk (2½ cups)
- 1 mango, diced
- 2 mango cheeks
- 60 gm coconut sugar
- 80 ml coconut milk (1/3 cup)
- 1Rinse quinoa under running water, then combine in a saucepan with dates, vanilla, cinnamon, 500ml coconut milk and 250ml water. Bring to the simmer, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is tender (15-20 minutes). Remove from heat then add remaining coconut milk and diced mango, and stir. Refrigerate until required.
- 2For sticky mango, heat a frying pan over high heat. Press cut sides of mango cheeks into sugar, then place sugar-side down into frying pan and cook until caramelised (2-3 minutes). Remove mango from pan (set aside), then add coconut milk, lime juice and 50ml water to pan and stir to combine, then set aside to cool.
- 3Serve coconut quinoa topped with grilled mango cut into wedges and pan juices drizzled over.