Cinnamon toast is impossible to resist, especially when transformed into ice-cream. The cinnamon toast cubes in the ice-cream stay crunchy for a couple of days, so you can make it a little in advance if you like, but even when it loses its crunch factor, it remains irresistible.
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 140 gm milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 260 gm dark chocolate (55% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 300 gm firm ricotta
- 250 gm cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50 gm raw caster sugar
- 18 thick slices of fruit bread
Cinnamon toast ice-cream
- 600 ml pouring cream
- 150 ml milk
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 7 egg yolks
- 180 gm raw caster sugar
- 140 gm fruit bread (about 2 thick slices), cut into 1cm cubes
- 40 gm butter, melted
- 1For cinnamon toast ice-cream, bring cream, milk and 1 tsp cinnamon to the simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk yolks and 140gm sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, pour in cream mixture and whisk to combine. Return to pan, reduce heat to medium and stir continuously until mixture thickly coats the back of a spoon (5-6 minutes). Strain into a bowl, whisk occasionally to cool, then refrigerate to chill. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Combine fruit-bread cubes, butter, remaining sugar and remaining cinnamon in a bowl and stir to coat well. Spread on an oven tray lined with baking paper and toast, shaking occasionally, until golden (5-6 minutes), then set aside to cool. Churn chilled custard in an ice-cream machine, transfer to a container, stir in toast cubes and freeze until required. Makes about a litre.
- 2For chocolate sauce, bring cream to the simmer in a saucepan over high heat, add milk chocolate and 200gm dark
chocolate, remove from heat, stand for 5 minutes, whisk until smooth and set aside.
- 3Process ricotta, cream cheese, sugar and orange rind in a food processor to combine, then stir in remaining dark
chocolate. Butter one side of all bread slices. Place half the slices butter-side down on a piece of baking paper and spread thickly with ricotta mixture, spreading a little thicker in the centre and leaving a 5mm-border. Sandwich with remaining bread slices butter-side up. Toast sandwiches, in batches, in a preheated toasted-sandwich press, cut each diagonally and serve hot with cinnamon toast ice-cream and warm chocolate sauce.
Drink Suggestion: Sweet Italian passito Drink suggestion by Max Allen