To mark our 50th anniversary, we collaborated with Patrón Tequila and Neil Perry to create a Mexican-themed birthday feast.
- 1 kg fatty pork shoulder, cut into 4cm dice
- ½ orange, halved
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Fresh tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, shaved cabbage and chopped onion, to serve
- 1Place all the ingredients except oil in a wide heavy-based saucepan, add 500ml water, season to taste with sea salt, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, skimming the surface regularly, for 1½ hours or until pork is tender. Drain. Preheat the oven to 220C.
- 2Toss the pork and oil in an ovenproof dish and roast, uncovered, in the oven for 20 minutes or until browned.
- 3Transfer to a serving plate or bowl and serve with tortillas, guacamole, sour cream, cabbage and chopped onion.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm