With its subtle Asian flavours, this light yet warming porridge is a welcome change from the usual. You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 250 ml (1 cup) coconut milk, plus extra to serve
- 80 gm caster sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 120 gm (½ cup) tapioca pearls, soaked in 500ml (2 cups) cold water overnight
Brown sugar bananas
- 110 gm (½ cup) brown sugar
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 4 small bananas, thickly sliced
- ½ lime, juice only
- 1For brown sugar bananas, combine brown sugar and coconut milk in a frying pan and stir over medium-high heat until milk starts to boil and sugar dissolves (2-3 minutes). Add banana and cook, turning occasionally, until caramelised and just tender (3-4 minutes). Stir in lime juice and keep warm.
- 2Combine milk, coconut milk, sugar, kaffir lime leaves, vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring just to the simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Drain tapioca, add to milk mixture and stir continuously until thick and tapioca is tender and translucent (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat and serve immediately with brown sugar bananas and drizzled with extra coconut milk.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am