- 1 sheet frozen butter puff pastry, defrosted
- 90 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 165 gm white sugar (¾ cup)
- 4 Granny Smith apples, trimmed, cut widthways into ½cm-thick rounds
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp fresh lavender flowers (optional), to serve
Lavender honey ice-cream
- 225 ml milk
- 150 ml heavy cream (45% milk fat)
- ½ tsp each of vanilla and lavender essence (see note)
- 6 egg yolks
- 180 gm lavender honey (½ cup)
- 1For lavender honey ice-cream, combine milk, cream and essences in a heavy-based saucepan, bring to a gentle simmer and remove from heat. Whisk egg yolks and honey until thick and creamy. Gradually pour in milk mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon thickly (8-10 minutes). Remove from heat and strain through a fine sieve, then cool completely. Chill in refrigerator, then freeze in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- 2Roll pastry out on a lightly floured surface until 3mm-thick. Cut out a 26cm-diameter round from pastry using a plate turned upside down as a guide. Prick pastry with a fork, then transfer to a baking paper-lined oven tray and refrigerate until required.
- 3Preheat oven to 250C. Spread butter thickly over base and sides of a 24cm-diameter frying pan. Scatter with sugar, then place over low heat and rotate to evenly melt sugar and coat pan. Cook until sugar is golden and caramelised (5-10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- 4Arrange apple slices in pan in concentric circles, scatter with cinnamon and cook over low heat, without stirring, until apples soften (10-12 minutes). Cover with pastry and bake until pastry is crisp and golden (15-20 minutes). Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. To serve, place a plate over the mould and carefully invert. Serve with lavender honey ice-cream scattered with lavender flowers if desired.
Lavender essence is available from
Drink Suggestion: Beaumes-de-Venise Muscat. Drink suggestion by Max Allen