The pairing of salty-sweet teriyaki sauce with the rich char-grilled meat of bonito is a perfect combination. Soak the wooden skewers in water for half an hour before using them to prevent them burning.
- 2 bonito fillets (about 300gm each), cut into 3cm cubes
- 80 ml soy sauce (1/3 cup)
- 80 ml mirin (1/3 cup)
- 40 ml sake
- 30 gm brown sugar
- 5 gm ginger, finely grated (1cm piece)
Vinegared wakame salad
- 60 ml rice vinegar (¼ cup)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- Pinch of white sugar
- 25 gm dried wakame (see note), coarsely chopped, soaked in cold water for 15 minutes, drained, squeezed of excess water
- ½ Lebanese cucumber, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- For topping: chilli powder (optional)
- 1For teriyaki glaze, stir ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce is thick (18-20 minutes), then set aside to cool.
- 2For vinegared wakame salad, bring vinegar, soy sauce, mirin and sugar to the simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, then set aside to cool. Place wakame and cucumber in a bowl, pour pickling liquid over and set aside for 30 minutes to pickle. Drain, drizzle with sesame oil and top with onion and chilli powder just before serving.
- 3Preheat a char-grill, thread 2 pieces of bonito onto each wooden skewer, brush with teriyaki glaze and grill in batches, turning once, until golden and cooked through (4-6 minutes). Brush with extra teriyaki and serve hot with vinegared wakame salad.
Note Dried wakame is available from Japanese and Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Rich, dark beer such as porter. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm