- 40 ml vodka, or to taste
- To serve: ice
- To serve: tomato juice
- To serve: celery and cucumber sticks
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 20 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 30 ml Ramos Pinto Tawny Port
- 10 ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 dashes Tabasco, or to taste
- 5 dashes smoked Tabasco (optional)
- 5 dashes celery bitters, or to taste (optional; see note)
- 1For the Mary mix, combine all ingredients in a large jar or bottle, cover, shake well and refrigerate until required.
- 2Pour 30ml Mary mix into a cocktail shaker. Add 40ml vodka (or up to 60ml if you prefer a stronger drink), then fill your shaker to the top with ice. Add tomato juice to 2½cm from the top, cover, then pour the cocktail from one receptacle to another five times to mix.
- 3Pour into a double Old Fashioned tumbler or wine glass, top with extra ice, garnish with celery, cucumber or both, and serve.
Note The Mary mix makes enough for four or five cocktails. It keeps well in the refrigerator three months; just shake it before using. Port-style fortified wine made in Australia is now known as tawny. Celery bitters are available online from The Bitter Truth. This recipe is a direct submission from Alexx Stuart of Luxury Tastings; we haven't triple-tested it as we do every other recipe we publish in the magazine. Therefore it's intended as a guide only.