You'll need to begin this recipe two days ahead.
- 500 gm frozen raspberries
- 400 gm caster sugar
- Juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 5 titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 750 gm crème fraîche
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 80 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 50 ml brandy, plus extra for drizzling
- Scraped seeds of 2 vanilla beans
- 500 gm (about 4 punnets) fresh raspberries
- For dusting: pure icing sugar, sieved
- 200 gm softened butter
- 165 gm caster sugar (¾ cup)
- 3 eggs
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 30 gm almond meal
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 50 ml buttermilk
- 300 gm <a href="http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/dark-fruit-mixture.htm">dark fruit mixture</a>
- 30 ml brandy
- 1Bring frozen raspberries, sugar, citrus juices and 600ml cold water to the boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook until fruit is pulpy (10-15 minutes), then strain through a muslin-lined sieve into a bowl (do not press on solids). Transfer 250ml raspberry liquid to a clean pan over low heat, squeeze gelatine to remove excess water, add to pan and stir until gelatine dissolves (1-2 minutes). Return gelatine mixture to remaining raspberry mixture, stir to combine then transfer to a 1.5-litre container and refrigerate until set (overnight).
- 2For Madeira cake, preheat oven to 160C. Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and creamy (4-5 minutes), scrape down sides of bowl and add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, almond meal, baking powder and ½ tsp salt in a separate bowl, add to butter mixture with buttermilk and beat to just combine. Add fruit mixture and brandy, beat to combine, then spoon into a 25cm x 11cm loaf tin buttered and lined with baking paper. Smooth top, bake until golden and an inserted skewer withdraws clean (50 minutes-1 hour), cool in tin for 10 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- 3Whisk crème fraîche, cream, icing sugar, brandy and vanilla seeds in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), then refrigerate until required.
- 4Scatter one-third of the fresh raspberries in a large serving bowl, then spoon half the jelly over. Thickly slice cake, crumble half over the jelly and drizzle with brandy. Spoon half the crème fraîche mixture over, then repeat layering. Cover and refrigerate for flavours to develop (overnight). Serve topped with extra raspberries and dusted with icing sugar.