This crunchy wholegrain granola is at its best served with a warm spiced milk or almond milk - try an infusion of cinnamon, cardamom and star anise, along with a vanilla bean. A dollop of thick natural yoghurt and the warm roast rhubarb rounds things out nicely.
- 130 gm coconut oil
- 150 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla-bean paste
- 180 gm (2 cups) rolled oats
- 100 gm (½ cup) each rolled barley and rolled spelt
- 100 gm (½ cup) pepitas
- 80 gm (½ cup) almonds, coarsely chopped
- 75 gm (½ cup) sunflower seeds
- 20 gm (1 cup) puffed millet
- 70 gm pistachios
- 25 gm (½ cup) coconut flakes
Roast rhubarb and strawberries
- 500 gm rhubarb, cut into 5cm lengths
- 220 gm (1 cup) raw caster sugar
- ½ tsp finely grated ginger
- 200 gm strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Melt coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat, add maple syrup and vanilla paste, stir and set aside.
- 2Combine dry ingredients, except pistachios and coconut flakes, and rind in a large bowl, pour maple syrup mixture over, stir to coat evenly, then spread over a baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast, stirring occasionally, until golden and evenly toasted (40-45 minutes). While still warm, press flat with a palette knife (this helps form clusters) and cool on tray. Coarsely crumble into clusters, then combine in a bowl with pistachios and coconut. Store in an airtight container until required. Muesli will keep for 2 weeks in the pantry.
- 3For roast rhubarb and strawberries, preheat oven to 200C. Combine ingredients, except strawberries, in a bowl, then spread over a roasting pan and roast until rhubarb is tender, but still holding shape (10-15 minutes). Add strawberries while still warm, stir and serve immediately with toasted muesli, spiced milk and yoghurt.