This vegan tofu bowl is full of flavour and texture. Use a mix of varieties of baby beetroot. If the leaves are small and tender, why not add them to the mix?
- 400 gm brown rice (2 cups)
- 1 tbsp dried sea vegetable (see note)
- 350 gm firm tofu, sliced
- 8 baby beetroot, trimmed and thinly shaved on a mandolin
- 1 golden shallot, thinly shaved on a mandolin
- Radish cress and torn nori, to serve
- Crumbled seaweed crackers and shichimi togarashi (see note), to serve
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 1For pickled carrot, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and stand at room temperature to pickle for 1 hour. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to a week.
- 2Place rice, sea vegetable, 750ml water and 1 tsp sea salt in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook without uncovering for 50 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and fluff up rice with a fork.
- 3Divide warm rice among serving bowls and top with tofu, beetroot, shallot, pickled carrot, and pickling liquid to taste. Scatter with radish cress, nori and seaweed crackers, season to taste with shichimi togarashi and serve.
Dried sea vegetable is available from Asian grocers and health-food shops. Shichimi togarashi, a Japanese spice blend, is available from Asian and Japanese grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Tangy, skin-contact white wine Drink suggestion by Max Allen