Ripe tomatoes with rustic croûtons and creamy Persian feta make for a magic match. Add the croûtons just before serving to preserve their crunch.
- 160 gm crustless sourdough bread, coarsely torn
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 400 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, coarsely torn
- 4 large ripe heirloom tomatoes (such as oxheart), cut into thick wedges
- ¼ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 100 gm Persian feta (optional), to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Spread torn bread on an oven tray, scatter with lemon rind, drizzle with 50ml olive oil, season to taste and stir to coat evenly in oil. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and toasted (10-12 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Combine tomatoes, onion and garlic in a large bowl, drizzle with vinegar, lemon juice and remaining oil, season to taste and toss to combine, then set aside.
- 3Just before serving, add herbs, feta and toasted bread to tomatoes, toss to combine and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Gutsy grenache rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen