- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 kg chipolata sausages
- 2 Spanish onions, cut into wedges
- 125 ml (½ cup) red wine
- 60 ml (¼ cup) balsamic vinegar
- 2 400gm cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves
- 800 ml milk
- 300 gm yellow polenta
- 250 ml (1 cup) pouring cream
- 160 gm (2 cups) finely grated parmesan
- 60 gm unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1For polenta, bring milk and 800ml water to the boil in a large saucepan, season to taste with sea salt and ground black pepper. Add polenta in a thin stream, whisking continuously, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until polenta is smooth and creamy (30-35 minutes), then stir in cream, parmesan and butter. Cover with baking paper to prevent a skin forming and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep frying pan, add sausages and cook over high heat until brown (2-3 minutes), set aside. Reduce heat to low-medium, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelised (8-12 minutes), add wine and vinegar and cook until reduced by half (4-5 minutes). Add tomato and sugar, stir to combine and bring to a simmer, add sausages and herbs and cook until sauce is thick (25-30 minutes).
- 3To serve, pour polenta over a large wooden board or platter. Make a well in the centre, spoon sausage mixture into the well and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Succulent red barbera. Drink suggestion by Max Allen.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm