When you're only using a few ingredients, it's important to use the best you can find. For this insalata, bring everything to room temperature before serving to maximise the flavours. You could also toss through torn day-old bread to make it more substantial.
- 1 kg best-quality mixed green and red tomatoes, coarsely chopped or sliced
- 2 mozzarella (about 250gm each), preferably buffalo milk, torn
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Large handful of basil leaves, to serve
- Splash of red wine vinegar, to serve
- Good-quality anchovy fillets (such as Ortiz), torn, and crusty bread, to serve
- 1Arrange tomatoes and mozzarella on a serving plate. Dress generously with oil and season to taste. Set aside for 1-2 minutes.
- 2Scatter basil over salad, add a splash of vinegar and serve with anchovies and crusty bread.