You'll need a 1-litre siphon gun and 2-3 nitrous chargers to make the whipped tofu; you can find these at kitchenware shops. Alternatively, skip step 1 and simply tear the silken tofu and serve it over the salad.
- 300 gm silken tofu
- 2 gm xanthan gum (see note)
- 600 gm assorted cherry tomatoes, such as grape, Roma and yellow
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled
- 125 ml grapeseed oil (½ cup)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 80 ml sherry vinegar (1/3 cup)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 6 shiso leaves
- 1Drain tofu (discard liquid), then blend on high speed in a blender, gradually add xanthan gum and blend to combine. Season generously to taste, transfer to a siphon gun, charge with nitrous chargers and set aside.
- 2Blanch cherry tomatoes (30 seconds-1 minute), then refresh and peel.
- 3Scoop balls of cucumber with a small melon-baller, avoiding the seeds.
- 4Whisk oils, vinegar and soy sauce to combine, then season to taste. Thinly slice shiso leaves and add to vinaigrette, then add tomato. Place a few cucumber balls and a selection of different coloured tomatoes into serving bowls, season to taste and drizzle over a little vinaigrette. Squirt whipped tofu from siphon gun on top of salad and serve.
Note Xanthan gum is a stabilising agent available from health-food shops.