- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 oxheart tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 100 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, thickly sliced, smaller ones halved
- 1 celery heart, shaved on a mandolin
- To taste: Tabasco
Tomato and thyme bread
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1½ tsp dried yeast
- 525 gm plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing and drizzling
- 200 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1For tomato and thyme bread, combine sugar, yeast and 60ml lukewarm water in a small bowl and stand in a warm place until foamy (10 minutes). Combine yeast mixture, flour, oil, 1 tsp sea salt and 200ml water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook and knead until a soft smooth dough forms (4-5 minutes). Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with a tea towel and stand until doubled in size (1 hour). Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 22cm x 27cm rectangle, place on a 22cm x 27cm oven tray lined with baking paper, cover with a tea towel and stand until doubled in size (20 minutes). Preheat oven to 200C. Press tomato cut-side up into dough, scatter with thyme, drizzle with oil, season to taste and bake until golden and cooked through (12-15 minutes). Transfer to a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- 2For celery salt, dry-roast coriander seeds until fragrant (1 minute), coarsely crush in a mortar and pestle. Add salt and celery seeds, crush to combine, season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- 3Whisk oil, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and garlic in a bowl to combine, season to taste and set aside.
- 4Cut tomato and thyme bread into squares, top with sliced tomato and cherry tomato, season to taste, drizzle with Worcestershire dressing then top with celery heart. Season with Tabasco and celery salt to taste and serve.
This recipe is from the February 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: American-style pale ale. Drink suggestion by Max Allen