- 440 gm (2 cups) caster sugar
- 350 gm (1 cup) liquid glucose
- 125 gm honey
- 2 eggwhites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 gm peeled pistachios
- 50 gm finely chopped cedro (see note)
- 2 limes, finely grated rind only
- 3 sheets of confectioner’s rice paper (see note)
- 1In a large heavy-based saucepan, stir sugar, glucose and honey over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook until mixture reaches 130C on a sugar thermometer.
- 2Meanwhile, using an electric mixer, whisk eggwhites to firm peaks, then slowly pour in half the syrup, whisk to combine, add vanilla and continue whisking on low speed. Meanwhile, return remaining syrup to heat and continue cooking until mixture reaches 154C on a sugar thermometer. Slowly add to eggwhite mixture and whisk until thick and glossy. Stir through pistachios, cedro and lime rind.
- 3Meanwhile, line the base of an 18cm-square cake pan with rice paper, trimming to fit. Working quickly, spoon over torrone mixture, smooth top and cover with rice paper. Allow to cool, turn out and cut into square pieces. Torrone will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
Cedro is available from
and David Jones Food Halls. Confectioner’s rice paper is available from health food stores and select delicatessens.