The history of the torta Caprese is hard to pin down, but most agree it was born from a mistake when flour was left out of the recipe. Coeliacs and cake lovers will be pleased with its fudgy centre regardless. Serve it with a nip of Liquore Strega (if you can find it), which is sometimes used to flavour the torta.
- 170 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 225 gm dark chocolate (55% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 170 gm (¾ cup) caster sugar
- 110 gm (½ cup) brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- 130 gm roasted almond meal (see note)
- 2 tbsp Dutch-process cocoa, sieved, plus extra for dusting
- 1Preheat oven to 180C and line a 22cm-diameter springform cake tin with baking paper. Combine butter and chocolate in a bowl, place over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until melted (2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Whisk sugar and eggs in an electric mixer until light and fluffy (3-4 minutes). Add almond meal and cocoa, fold to combine, then fold in chocolate. Pour into tin and bake until cooked through (45-50 minutes). Cool in tin, then remove, dust with cocoa and serve with whipped cream.
Note Roasted almond meal is available from supermarkets. If it's unavailable substitute almond meal or hazelnut meal.
Drink Suggestion: Sweet white malvasia. Drink suggestion by Max Allen