We've marinated the fish for extra flavour, while using raspberry vinegar brightens the colour, and radishes add texture. This salad is a treat piled onto crusty bread slathered with cultured butter.
- 16 breakfast radishes
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 25 gm sea salt flakes
- 10 gm raw caster sugar
- 10 fresh or frozen raspberries, crushed
- 2 tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 6 native pepperberries (see note), crushed
- 400 gm piece ocean trout, pin-boned
- 15 gm peeled horseradish, finely grated
- 175 gm crème fraîche
- 1For marinated trout, combine ingredients except trout in a bowl. Spread half in the base of a plastic container, top with trout, then scatter remaining mixture on top, cover and refrigerate until for 1-2 hours to lightly marinate.
- 2For horseradish cream, whisk ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Dice trout and toss in a bowl with radishes and shallot, then transfer to a plate. Whisk oil and vinegar in a small bowl, season to taste and spoon onto salad. Top with a dollop of horseradish cream, scatter with trout roe and radish sprouts, and serve with sourdough and butter.
Native pepperberries are available from Herbie’s Spices (herbies.com.au). If they’re unavailable substitute crushed black peppercorns. Drink suggestion by Max Allen