You've heard of K-pop; now here's our K-poke. Korean flavours join the more traditional Japanese and Hawaiian, kimchi adding a funky element while its pickling liquid ever so slightly cures the fish.
- 400 gm brown rice (2 cups)
- 5 cm piece dried kombu
- 350 gm sashimi-quality skinless tuna fillet, diced
- 100 gm kimchi, coarsely chopped plus 1½ tbsp kimchi liquid
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ tbsp rice vinegar
- 1½ tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp roasted sesame seeds, plus extra to serve
- 2 avocados, cut into thin wedges
- Thinly sliced spring onion, to serve
- 1Place rice, kombu, 750ml water and 1 tsp sea salt in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook without uncovering for 50 minutes. Remove from heat and stand covered for 10 minutes, then discard kombu and fluff up rice with a fork.
- 2Combine tuna, kimchi and kimchi liquid, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and sesame seeds in a bowl, toss to combine and stand to marinate lightly (10 minutes).
- 3To serve, divide warm rice among serving bowls, top with tuna mixture and avocado, drizzle with any juices that remain from the tuna and scatter with spring onion and extra sesame seeds.
Drink Suggestion: Amber ale Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm