- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, thickly sliced crossways
- ½ small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 rashers of rindless short-cut bacon
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- To top: inner leaves of half a baby cos, washed
- 200 gm shredded roast turkey (preferably leg meat)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 200 ml olive oil
- 1For mayonnaise, pulse egg yolks, mustard and vinegar in a food processor until combined, then, with motor running, add oil in a thin, steady stream until emulsified and thick and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper. Makes 1 cup. Mayonnaise will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- 2Preheat oven to 160C. Place tomato, cut-side up on a small baking paper-lined oven tray. Combine garlic, thyme, extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar in a small bowl, season to taste with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sugar, then spoon over tomatoes. Cook for 45 minutes or until semi-roasted, then cool.
- 3Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden and cooked to your liking. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 4To assemble, place 2 pieces of bread on a clean work surface, spread each with some mayonnaise, top with lettuce, roast tomato, bacon and turkey, then sandwich with remaining bread and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Rosé Champagne. Drink suggestion by Max Allen