These fluffy, snowy pillows make the ideal do-ahead treat. They're even better served alongside a glass of warm malted milk - the perfect winter hand-warmer.
- 2 tsp liquid glucose
- 375 gm white sugar
- 3 eggwhites
- 85 gm malted milk powder (¾ cup)
- 9 titanium-strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 100 gm pure icing sugar
- 40 gm malted milk powder
- 10 gm cornflour (about 1 tbsp)
- 1Stir glucose, 250gm sugar and 100ml water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil and cook until mixture reaches 118C on a sugar thermometer (3-5 minutes). Once sugar syrup reaches 118C, whisk eggwhite and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then gradually add remaining sugar and whisk until glossy.
- 2Continue cooking sugar syrup until it reaches 127C (6-8 minutes). Meanwhile, stir malted milk powder and 40ml hot water in a bowl until smooth, then add to syrup, bring back to the boil and cook until mixture reaches 121C (4-5 minutes). Remove from heat, squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to syrup and stir to combine. Gradually pour syrup into eggwhite mixture, whisking continuously on medium speed, then add vanilla seeds and whisk at high speed until cool and thick (10-12 minutes). Spoon into a 20cm square cake tin lined with baking paper, smooth top, and stand at room temperature until set (2-3 hours).
- 3For malted sugar, sieve ingredients into a tray to combine.
- 4Turn marshmallow out onto a sheet of baking paper dusted with malted sugar. Cut into cubes (around 2.5cm) with a knife dipped in hot water, toss in malted sugar to coat, then store in an airtight container in extra malted sugar, until required. Marshmallows will keep for 2 weeks.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm