- 60 gm green beans (about 12)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 small soft white bread rolls
- 6 Ortiz anchovies, halved lengthways
- 12 semi-dried tomatoes (see note)
- 350 gm veal chuck, coarsely chopped
- 80 gm pork back-fat, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 40 gm sashimi-grade tuna
- 4 Ortiz anchovies
- 1 tbsp drained capers in vinegar
- 100 gm good-quality mayonnaise
- 1For veal patties, mince veal and pork back-fat through a mincer fitted with a coarse attachment (see note), then mince half the mixture again. Combine both mince mixtures in a bowl with parsley, lemon rind, pepper and 1¼ tsp sea salt and mix well with your hands. Roll in plastic wrap to form a 5cm-diameter cylinder, then refrigerate until chilled (1 hour). Slice into six even pieces and set aside.
- 2For tuna mayonnaise, poach tuna in a small saucepan of simmering water over low heat until just cooked through (2 minutes), then drain on absorbent paper. Combine in a blender with anchovy and capers, process until smooth, then add mayonnaise and process until smooth and combined. Season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Blanch beans until just tender (1-2 minutes), drain and refresh. Drain, halve lengthways, cut into 5cm pieces and set aside.
- 4Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add patties and cook, turning once, until just cooked through (2-3 minutes each side).
- 5Warm rolls in oven (2-3 minutes), then halve. Spread each half with tuna mayonnaise, and top each base with a veal patty, anchovy, tomato and beans. Sandwich with tops and serve hot.
Semi-dried tomatoes are available from select delicatessens. If you donít have a mincer, ask your butcher to mince the veal and back-fat for you. You may need to order ahead.
This recipe is from the May 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: 2011 Domaine Lucci Vino de Casa White Blend, Adelaide Hills, SA. Drink suggestion by Matthew Dunne
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am