- 1 bunch each of green and white asparagus, trimmed
- 1 bunch of baby carrots, scrubbed
- 1 bunch of radishes, trimmed and halved
- 1 bunch of finger fennel, trimmed (see note)
- 8 zucchini flowers, trimmed and halved
- ½ head of garlic, roasted (see note)
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind and juice only
- ½ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 75 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 200 gm crème fraîche
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp each coarsely chopped dill and mint and flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1For garlic sauce, process garlic, anchovies, lemon rind and herbs in a food processor until smooth, add vinegar and lemon juice and process to combine. Add oil in a thin, steady stream and process until emulsified, then add enough boiling water to thin to a sauce consistency, season to taste with black pepper and set aside. Sauce can be made 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Makes about 1 cup.
- 2For herbed crème fraîche, combine ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside. Sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Makes about 1 cup.
- 3Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes or until just tender, drain, refresh in iced water, then drain again.
- 4Arrange vegetables on a platter and serve with dipping sauces passed separately.
Note Finger fennel is available from specialist greengrocers. If unavailable, cut baby fennel into thin wedges. To roast garlic, preheat oven to 200C. Wrap unpeeled garlic tightly in foil and roast for 20 minutes or until soft. Squeeze garlic from skins before using.
Drink Suggestion: Vibrant young sav blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen