The verjuice and bay leaves give an unexpected savoury note to the caramelised apricots.
- 165 gm (¾ cup) raw caster sugar
- 150 ml verjuice
- 12 apricots, halved
- 1 lemon, juice and peeled rind only
- 4 fresh small bay leaves
- To serve: good-quality vanilla ice-cream and toasted brioche
- 1Spread sugar in an even layer in the base of a large frying pan and cook over medium-high heat until starting to melt (2-3 minutes). Add half the verjuice, stir to dissolve, then add apricots in a single layer, cut-side down. Add bay leaves and lemon rind, cook until caramelised (4-5 minutes), then turn apricots. Add lemon juice and remaining verjuice, and cook until apricots are just tender. Cool in syrup and serve with vanilla ice-cream and toasted brioche.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm