Poaching then grilling the turkey breast results in a tender and flavourful meat, and the agrodolce flavour of vincotto lends a modern twist.
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 orange, thinly peeled rind only
- 20 gm (4cm piece) ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 turkey breast (about 1.4kg), skin on
- 200 ml vincotto
- 350 ml each baby green beans and sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 8 peaches, cut into wedges
- 2 bunches baby rocket, trimmed
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chardonnay vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1Combine stock, rind, ginger, garlic, star anise and peppercorns in a large saucepan over medium heat, simmer to infuse (30 minutes). Add turkey, simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from heat and stand in liquid for 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat grill to high. Remove turkey from poaching liquid, pat dry with absorbent paper, place on a baking tray, brush with 150ml vincotto, then grill, basting occasionally, until golden (5-7 minutes). Season to taste, cover loosely with foil, set aside to rest (10 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, blanch beans and sugar snap peas in boiling salted water, then refresh. Drain and combine in a bowl with peaches and rocket.
- 4Whisk oil, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl to combine, toss through bean mixture. Serve salad with sliced turkey and remaining vincotto drizzled over.
Drink Suggestion: Fruity young sauvignon blanc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesLamb rack with piquillo peppers, rocket and burghulYesterday 5:00am