Violet Crumble versus Crunchie - we fall into the Crumble camp and that's what inspired this rich truffle slice. It's made a little more grown-up with addition of crunchy cacao nibs and candied violets, but really it's all about the honeycomb.
- 550 gm dark chocolate (56% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 270 ml pouring cream
- 6 egg yolks
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 30 gm candied violets, coarsely crumbled, plus extra to scatter
- 20 gm cacao nibs, plus extra to scatter (see note)
- 165 gm caster sugar
- 40 gm each honey and liquid glucose
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1For honeycomb, stir sugar, honey, glucose and 50ml water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil and cook, swirling the pan occasionally and brushing down the sides with a wet pastry brush if sugar crystals form, until light caramel in colour (6-7 minutes). Remove from heat, add bicarbonate of soda and quickly shake pan to disperse evenly – the mixture will froth up quickly and foam. Tip out onto a well-oiled baking tray and set aside to cool completely (1 hour). Break into shards and store in an airtight container until required. Honeycomb will keep for a week.
- 2Melt chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth (2-3 minutes). Set aside.
- 3Whisk eggs and sugar in a separate heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until thick and pale (3-4 minutes), transfer to an electric mixer, add chocolate mixture and whisk until cooled to room temperature (2-3 minutes). Fold in candied violets, cacao nibs and a third of the honeycomb, spoon into a 18cm square cake tin lined with baking paper and smooth top. Scatter over extra cacao nibs and a little sea salt and refrigerate until firm (3-4 hours).
- 4To serve, cut truffle slice into fingers or cubes with a hot sharp knife and serve scattered with extra honeycomb and candied violets.
Note Cacao nibs are available from select health-food shops.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm