- 50 ml olive oil
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- ½ baby fennel bulb, thinly sliced, fronds coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 slices hot pancetta, coarsely torn
- 1.5 kg vongole, soaked in cold water to remove sandy grit, drained
- 250 ml pinot grigio
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 50 gm coarse fresh breadcrumbs from sourdough bread
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1For garlic breadcrumbs, heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add breadcrumbs and garlic and stir continuously over medium-high heat until golden (4-5 minutes). Season to taste, cool, stir in parsley and reserved fennel fronds and set aside.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, fennel and garlic, stir occasionally until tender (4-5 minutes). Add pancetta, cook until crisp (2-3 minutes), then add vongole and wine. Cover with a lid and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until vongole open (2-3 minutes). Season to taste, scatter with garlic breadcrumbs and serve immediately.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am