Ricotta only keeps refrigerated for a couple of days and is best eaten as fresh as can be, so consider buying it the same day you're going to serve it. It's a great partner to asparagus and walnuts in this salad.
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, peeled, cut diagonally into 5cm lengths
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 80 gm walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm firm ricotta, crumbled
- 50 gm parmesan, shaved
- To serve: baby basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until just tender (1-2 minutes). Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- 2Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, add walnuts and stir occasionally until just golden (1-2 minutes), then pour onto asparagus, season to taste and toss to combine.
- 3To serve, transfer asparagus to a platter and scatter ricotta, parmesan and basil leaves over, drizzle with lemon juice and serve immediately.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.