Ricotta only keeps refrigerated for a couple of days and is best eaten as fresh as can be, so consider buying it the same day you're going to serve it. It's a great partner to asparagus and walnuts in this salad.
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, peeled, cut diagonally into 5cm lengths
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 80 gm walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 100 gm firm ricotta, crumbled
- 50 gm parmesan, shaved
- To serve: baby basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1Cook asparagus in boiling salted water until just tender (1-2 minutes). Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- 2Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, add walnuts and stir occasionally until just golden (1-2 minutes), then pour onto asparagus, season to taste and toss to combine.
- 3To serve, transfer asparagus to a platter and scatter ricotta, parmesan and basil leaves over, drizzle with lemon juice and serve immediately.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Chefs' RecipesPhil Wood's kipfler potato and calamari Greek saladYesterday 12:45am