- 3 carrots, halved lengthways and cut into wedges
- 3 parsnips, halved lengthways and cut into wedges
- 90 ml olive oil
- 2 bunches Dutch carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and halved lengthways, plus 1 extra shaved
- 6 rindless bacon rashers
- 4 slices rye bread, torn
- To serve: coarsely torn radicchio and flat-leaf parsley
- 60 ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 tbsp each cider vinegar and lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Toss the regular carrots and parsnips in a bowl with 2 tbsp olive oil and season to taste. Spread on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast, stirring occasionally,
until golden brown and tender (1-1¼ hours). Toss Dutch carrots and 1 tbsp oil in in a bowl and season to taste. Spread on an oven tray lined with baking paper and roast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and tender (20-25 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown and crisp (3-4 minutes). Remove from pan, set aside to cool, then break into rough pieces. Add rye bread to pan and fry, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, then season to taste. Just before serving warm bacon in oven for a minute or two.
- 3For mustard dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine and season to taste.
- 4Combine roasted vegetables in a large bowl with warm bacon and rye croûtons. Add radicchio, parsley and shaved carrot, drizzle with dressing to taste, toss to combine and serve warm.
Drink Suggestion: Rich viognier. Drink suggestion by Max Allen