This is an excuse to break out the melon baller. The watermelon balls are the fruit and the ice - cool, huh! You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 1 seedless watermelon (about 7kg)
- 750 ml orange juice (3 cups)
- 12 rhubarb stalks, thinly sliced
- 55 gm raw sugar (¼ cup)
- 150 ml green ginger wine
- 150 ml gin
- 150 ml Cointreau
- To serve: tonic water
- 1Juice half the watermelon in a juicer, or process in a food processor then strain, and refrigerate until required. Scoop melon balls from remaining watermelon with a melon baller, place on a tray and freeze overnight.
- 2Combine rhubarb, sugar and 250ml orange juice in a saucepan, bring to the simmer over medium heat and cook until rhubarb is just tender but still holding its shape (8-10 minutes), then refrigerate until required.
- 3Combine watermelon juice, frozen watermelon balls and poached rhubarb in a punch bowl with remaining orange juice, ginger wine, gin and Cointreau. Top up with tonic water to taste and serve.