The fresh, fragrant flavours of this simple salad make it a summertime go-to - Christmas Day or not. Chill the ingredients and dress the salad just before serving so it remains crisp. Shop-bought fried shallots work just as well as homemade here.
- ¼ small seedless watermelon, cut into thin triangles
- ¾ cup each (loosely packed) coriander, Vietnamese mint and mint
- To serve: fried shallots
- 2 tbsp raw caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 birdseye chilli, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp each lime juice, fish sauce and rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1For lime-chilli dressing, pound sugar, garlic and chilli with a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste, combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until required.
- 2To serve, arrange watermelon and herbs in a serving dish, drizzle with lime-chilli dressing to taste and serve scattered with fried shallots.