This salad is at its best when prepared a day in advance so the beans absorb the flavour of the dressing. Just add the herbs at the last minute. You'll need to soak the beans overnight before you start.
- 400 gm dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
- 125 ml extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 110 gm baby capers in vinegar, rinsed
- 60 ml lemon juice, or to taste (¼ cup)
- 3 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped, or to taste
- ½ preserved lemon, pith and flesh removed, rind finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup each mint and flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn, plus extra to garnish (firmly packed)
- 1Place beans in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, cook until beans are tender (40-50 minutes), drain and set aside.
- 2Combine oil, capers, lemon juice, shallot, anchovy, preserved lemon, and garlic in a bowl, add warm beans, toss to combine and season to taste. Add herbs just before serving.
This recipe is from the May 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2011 All Saints Estate Riesling. Drink suggestion by All Saints Estate