- 8 whiting fillets
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 4 soft long rolls, halved
- To serve: butter, softened
- 1 bunch watercress, leaves picked
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, separated
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 400 ml vegetable oil
- 7 cornichons, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp salted baby capers, rinsed
- 2 tbsp each of finely chopped parsley, chervil and tarragon
- 1Dust whiting in flour and shake to remove excess. Dip in egg, then coat in crumbs.
- 2For gribiche sauce, process boiled and raw egg yolks in a food processor with mustard and vinegar until combined, then with motor running add oil in a thin steady stream until combined. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper. Finely chop eggwhite, add to sauce with remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- 3Heat oil in a large saucepan to 180C, fry whiting, for 4-5 minutes or until golden, then drain on an absorbent paper-lined plate.
- 4Spread rolls with butter, top with watercress, 2 whiting fillets, gribiche sauce, sandwich and serve immediately.