Try this alongside a salad with Christmas meats.
- 2 litres chicken stock (8 cups)
- 400 gm wild rice (2 cups)
- 50 gm butter
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 bunches spring onions, trimmed and large ones halved lengthways
- 250 ml verjuice (1 cup)
- 1 tsp leatherwood honey
- ½ tsp finely grated orange rind
- ½ tsp finely chopped curly parsley
- 70 gm hazelnuts, roasted, skins removed and coarsely chopped (½ cup)
- 2 tsp hazelnut oil
- 1Bring chicken stock to the boil in a large saucepan, add rice and cook for 45-60 minutes or until rice is just cracked, then drain reserving ½ cup stock.
- 2Meanwhile, heat butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and spring onion and cook for 2 minutes or until garlic just starts to colour, add verjuice and honey and cook over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until liquid has reduced to a glaze, then remove using a slotted spoon and set aside to keep warm. Add wild rice, reserved chicken stock and orange rind and stir to coat. Remove from heat, stir through spring onion mixture and remaining ingredients, season to taste and serve immediately.