- 2 white witlof, leaves separated
- To serve: giant Antigua anchovies (see note)
- 4 canned piquillo peppers (see note)
- 165 gm (¾ cup) blanched almonds, roasted
- 40 gm (½ cup) hazelnuts, roasted, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 1For red pepper sauce, process peppers, almonds, hazelnuts, garlic and anchovies in a food processor until combined. Add extra-virgin olive oil until incorporated, then sherry vinegar and enough water to thin to dollop consistency. Makes about 500ml.
- 2Arrange witlof on a serving plate and serve with red pepper sauce and anchovies.
Giant Antigua anchovies are available from
. Piquillo peppers are wood-fired Spanish peppers available from Spanish delicatessens and specialty food stores. The Australian versions in jars don’t have as authentic a flavour.
Drink Suggestion: A bone-dry manzanilla sherry. Drink suggestion by Max Allen