You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 1 kg (about 6 punnets) mixed berries, such as strawberries, raspberries and mulberries, to serve
- For dusting: pure icing sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 100 gm white sugar
- 200 ml dry Marsala, plus extra for brushing
- 2 gelatine sheets (titanium strength), softened in cold water
- 300 ml thickened cream, whisked to soft peaks, refrigerated
- 5 eggs
- 165 gm (¾ cup) caster sugar
- 150 gm plain flour
- 60 gm butter, melted and cooled
- 1For sponge cake, preheat oven to 180C. Whisk eggs and sugar in an electric mixer until tripled in volume (3-5 minutes). Sift over flour, fold to combine, then fold through butter. Spoon into a buttered and floured 17.5cm x 25cm cake pan and bake until cake springs back lightly when touched and a skewer inserted withdraws clean (15-20 minutes). Cool in pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack, then turn out and cool completely.
- 2Trim top of sponge flush, then cut horizontally into thirds. From the top slice, cut a round to fit the base of a 1.5 litre plastic wrap-lined flat-based bowl and place in base. Cut another round from sponge to fit top of bowl and set aside. Cut remaining slices vertically into 3cm-wide rectangles and arrange around sides of bowl, leaving a gap between each. Halve remaining sponge rectangles diagonally to form triangles and fit into gaps with pointed ends towards the base. Brush prepared sponge lining with Marsala and set aside.
- 3For zabaglione, place egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl and whisk until thick and creamy (5-10 minutes). Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, then add the Marsala and whisk until mixture is very thick and holds a ribbon (10-15 minutes). Squeeze excess water from gelatine and whisk into egg mixture until dissolved. Remove from heat and place over ice, whisking occasionally until chilled (10-20 minutes), then gently fold through cream and spoon into cake-lined mould. Trim edges of sponge flush with zabaglione. Place reserved sponge round on top. Brush with Marsala, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set (6 hours-overnight). Serve cake topped with berries and dusted with icing sugar.