Using yellow zucchini and white asparagus along with the usual green varieties makes this salad especially colourful, but green vegetables alone give beautiful results still.
- 8 zucchini flowers, stamens removed
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways on a mandolin
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed, shaved lengthways on a mandolin
- ¾ cup (loosely packed) mint
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 30 gm finely grated pecorino
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp pouring cream
- 1For pecorino dressing, whisk lemon rind and juice, mustard, vinegar and garlic in a bowl to combine, then stir in pecorino. Add oil gradually in a steady stream, whisking continuously to emulsify. Whisk in cream, season to taste and set aside.
- 2Separate zucchini flowers from baby zucchini, coarsely tear and set aside. Shave baby zucchini on a mandolin into a bowl, add zucchini, asparagus and mint. Drizzle with pecorino dressing, toss to combine, add zucchini flowers and toss to combine. Scatter with pecorino and serve.
This recipe is from the March 2013 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: Bone-dry vermentino. Drink suggestion by Max Allen